Monday, April 26, 2010

Yummy Wanton Mee at Tampines Round Market

Considering that ieat of ieatishootipost is a doctor, then I must be the evil witch. I am seriously beginning to sound like some sort of myth buster, going around counter-checking all the food, reevaluating them, and often killing the queue with a razor sharp exam-style checklist as some may call it. Well not yet, probably never will. The more someone tells you no, the more you're going to try. Human nature, hence the saying, curiosity kills the cat.

The saying is pretty true, as I have often taken up the role of the cat, and then ended up being killed by my curiosity. Especially when reviews are mixed, be it beauty wise or food wise. And then you just get so frustrated at all the raves that you set up a blog. Hahahaha.

Okay, enough story for this post. Basically, I had a craving for Wanton Mee for the last one week, so I couldn't help it and went to Tampines Round Market in an attempt to settle my craving. And to my horror, I found out that Singapore style Sarawak Kolo Mee is nothing like my idea of kolo mee. Different nevermind, not nice to eat is what matters. =( So here's why:

Yummy Wanton Mee - Mushroom Char Siew Dumpling Noodles + Egg


Available: Blk 137 Tampines Round Market & Food Center #01-45

Opening time:  5am - 3pm daily

Star properties: Rows and rows of awards.

I ordered Set A, Mushroom Char Siew Dumpling Noodles, and added egg, because this seemed like the one with the most number of ingredients, a bit of everything, so that I can write my review.

Personally, I also like mushrooms and char siew, so it was killing two birds with one stone. =))


Mushroom
Not well cooked, as it has that bitter taste. Softness wise, I would say it's okay. Can bite, of course can bite. But it can be a lot softer and better.

Sauce, which is actually the star, not the mushroom, is not nice at all. Just some sort of anyhow mixture of dark sauce, oil, and seasoning. Nothing special.

Rating: 3/5
Which again, means okay only.

Dumpling
The taste is good! Towards the salty side, but not over. Enough crunchiness and prawn taste, and the dumpling is quite big and well-filled by today's standards.

Only gripe is that the skin is still slightly cold and plastic from the freeze. Yes, they use frozen dumplings that I saw taken out from the refrigerator. Don't think it's handmade.


Rating: 4.25/5

Vegetables
Bitter and miserably few. Nothing much to say.

Rating: 3/5
Really just normal. I don't expect much from coffeeshops as well. Most coffeeshop food would fall under the "okay" label, meaning, can eat, cheap, to just fill your stomach.


Char Siew
This is good! The meat is well cooked such that it's not too hard or too soft. Serving amount is little, but expected, and with quite a lot of fats.

But the sweetness is just right.


Rating: 4.25/5

Egg
Horrible. The skin is rubberized, so it forms a layer that almost cannot be eaten, or rather that I really don't want to eat. According to what I am studying, this sort of feeling essentially means that there have been molecular chemical changes, in which the proteins somehow re-bonds in another pattern, or disintegrate into another structure etc, so much such that you detect a macromolecular change in visible properties. Very bad. Don't know what I am eating.

In any case, even discounting the chemical changes, the flavour isn't good! That egg yolk is so hard and dry I really couldn't bring myself to finish it. =( Don't know how to swallow.

The auntie did dip the egg into that mushroom black sauce before serving. But I can honestly tell you, it made no difference because the sauce is not nice, and did not add any taste to enhance.


Rating: 0/5
No point adding $0.50 for the egg.


Noodles
Now, about the main thing, noodles. I really don't know... I don't even think my noodles look the same as those posted in ieatishootipost. =( Much less smelling fragrant like ieat describes. To fill your tummy, it's okay. But seriously, if you were me, looking for a nice bowl of wanton mee to satisfy the week long craving, it's not okay. It's so not okay.

The noodles were overcooked, soggy, no fragrance, no looks, nothing. I really could have got that at the nearest Kopitiam.


And I think one of the greatest secrets to Wanton Mee is the sauce. I don't really care what sauce they put, because I know of a bowl that uses ketchup and chili which is really nice! So all they have to do is get the combination right. And this stall certainly couldn't. Trust me, there is NO secret in their recipe. With your eyes blind folded, take the soy sauce bottle, salt, sugar, pepper, oil, throw a pinch here and there, you'd probably get something like this.

I do not even think they bother to try their sauce or use a constant ratio. You know what hawkers always say, "agar agar". It's this "agar agar" and this "agar agar" attitude that makes the difference between the stalls with queues and those without.

The sauce here is pretty much tasteless even though it looks really dark, and thick enough, and nice. I'd suggest a bit more sweetness, and slightly less oil.


Rating: 3/5


Hawker Attitude
For some reason, the auntie is telling the cook (maybe husband) how to do what! Amazing for a stall that has been around for some time and won so many awards. I got the idea that the cook doesn't knows how to cook. Maybe that explains the mediocre food.

Overall rating: 5.8/10
Not worth coming specially at all. Not even worth even though this time I only traveled 5 busstops. Seriously. Can I remove all that awards? =((((( I wish the food award administrator would periodically go back to check. Things like Ch U and Ch 8 are getting way out of hand.

Even my brother who is not a foodie can tell me the logic. Here's what a non-21 said, "you know right, if the program has to go around saying something is nice (for viewership to hold) once a week, that means that over time, every stall in Singapore will have an award what!".

Yup, so don't believe so quickly when you see Kym Ng's face or Quan Yifeng etc pasted on signboards. And from my experiences, don't believe extremely old newspaper cuttings as well. They are really too outdated, and food standards DO drop because most hawkers just cannot be bothered. They are just there to sell as many bowls as possible in a day and rake in the $$$.

Walking Directions
At the round market, from the Hakka Yong Tau Foo stall (which is right opposite a small goldsmith shop outside the hawker center), Yummy Wanton Mee is right behind Yong Tau Foo.

As for Tampines Round Market, I got there by taking bus 28 from Tampines Interchange, past a church, Holy Trinity, and Shell Station, drop one busstop after Shell station. If you overshot, get down at Safra Tampines before it goes too far. It's a slightly longer walk backwards.

PS: As ieat suggests, the dumpling is worth buying a bowl to add ingredients if you are having porridge or mixed rice etc.

P/S/S: If you are looking for nice tasting wanton mee, and kolo mee at the same time, try the one at Toa Payoh Central a.k.a HDB Hub. Look for gaps in between the shops like SK Jewelery, Hock Hua Chinese Tonic, Hang Ten etc. Go into the back alley, Kolo Mee is at the end of the row from the obvious roast pork rice stall.


I do not have stock pictures to post right now. But that one is the delicious one with secret in the transparent sauce they coat every bowl of noodles in. I may just go there to get my wanton mee craving fixed.


I have eaten there for a whole year when I did part-time, and the quality is extremely consistent.

0 comments:

 

Positively Nice - My Beauty Blog

Latest and most honest reviews of the efficacy of beauty products, skincare, cosmetics, and my take on fashion, plus lots of my tips that will make people compliment! =)))

Beauty can be affordable, only at Positively Nice.

Positively Nice
Powered By Blogger

Blog Tricks

Powered By Blogger

Proud Member of Nuffnang






Powered By Blogger

Great Morning ©  Copyright by Sweetly Nice - Singa 坡 の Makan | Template by Blogger Templates | Blog Trick at Blog-HowToTricks