Friday, April 23, 2010

Bengawan Solo Pandan Chiffon Cake - No idea why it's hyped + Recommend Me A Cake =)

I think I am going to get kicked for this one again. It seems that everything I post about is bad. But that's because I haven't yet posted about all my delicious adventures and favourite foods! I should link in the post on Watami Singapore. I can be impressed, and very easily impressed. Give me some time, will definitely roll out aaaallll the goodies in Singapore. Now, it's dispelling the hype time, so naturally the foods are not so nice.

[I am just being truthful. I always get that, "hey, actually I also think this is normal" response, when I speak up and pound that hot food.]

Bengawan Solo Pandan Chiffon Cake

I have not eaten this before because my mum stopped buying from Bengawan Solo a long time ago after we all agreed that their foods are not that good and overpriced. I used to have their egg tarts and onion sausage rolls quite often.

However, when I heard that their pandan cake is good, I felt like trying, since my mum really likes this. I myself have never been quite so in love with pandan cakes or chiffon cakes. I guess this belongs to the previous generation. What I thought was, if this is truly one of the best in Singapore, no harm buying a few pieces back for my family.

It then so happened that I had to pass by a Bengawan Solo outlet today, so I walked in to get a piece. Thank goodness I decided on the single piece first before plunging in to grab that box of 5. (I am always quite kan chiong, and will rush to pick things up, without trying.)

So here goes:


Looks
No point talking about food without talking about looks because it is a fact that people eat with their eyes. So yes, like they all say, the one at Bengawan Solo has got a really, really evenly browned skin. And has pattern from the container on top. Pretty cake I must say. And stands well.

While the green on the inside is so green, so green. I don't know it's colouring or they really put in so much pandan extract, but again, it's appealing.

Then the holes. This is one of those really dense chiffon cake in which you don't see big holes. Very well beaten batter (they probably use industrial/business grade machine), even tiny pores rather than holes, making it look all the more perfect.

Rating: 5/5

Feel
Call me psychotic or what, but how could I not press this chiffon cake when I can hold it in my hands? Moreover, it's so soft like those comfort pillow one may have at home.

I know, it makes it ugly, but I just wanted to feel the texture, that's all. I didn't like squeeze my entire cake, that would be quite stupid.

Okay, so the feel is sweet and nice as well. hehe.

Rating: 5/5

Fragrance
And then after buying it out of the display, the first thing to always do with food is to take in the fragrance! =)) You can bet this is super nice from the colour. =)

I don't think it's just pandan. I can't tell because the smell is too mixed up to me. But it's fragrant and made me keep indulging on the smell like one would to one's favourite perfume. It's like when you hug your lover... ... haha, that kind of sniff.

Rating: 5/5
I do give 5/5 when I can't find anything to fault.


Taste & 口感/Texture
It's flatly sweet. I don't really like the texture as well, because I prefer my chiffon cake to the sort that can be bitten down to say, 0.5cm? Then another bite and yes, it breaks!! Gives a great deal of satisfaction, and layering in terms of texture, rather than just one flat, oh-bite-down-and-it-will-break feeling.

Frankly speaking, this did not give me that ooo-aah and eye light-up sensation as I expect from a food that is highly raved about. In fact, I'd rather prefer the pandan cake that sells at Shop & Save because of that resistance.


Rating: 3/5
It means okay lor... ...

Would I buy again?
No. $0.90 a piece for a non-favourite food that I feel I can find better at the supermarket is a tad expensive to me.

Would I recommend?
No. Have no idea why the hype. From Bengawan Solo, still the thousand layered cake is the best. =) If you have to eat sinful cakes and have to buy Bengawan Solo, spend the $$ on that.

Overall rating: 6/10
Really okay lor.

Recommend Me A Cake
I wouldn't mind traveling for good food, so if you also think that there are better Pandan Chiffon than Bengawan Solo's, recommend it. =) However, please also state why you think it's better. I have been cheated into all that long journeys so many times because of baseless raves. Thanks in advance!

0 comments:

 

Positively Nice - My Beauty Blog

Latest and most honest reviews of the efficacy of beauty products, skincare, cosmetics, and my take on fashion, plus lots of my tips that will make people compliment! =)))

Beauty can be affordable, only at Positively Nice.

Positively Nice
Powered By Blogger

Blog Tricks

Powered By Blogger

Proud Member of Nuffnang






Powered By Blogger

Great Morning ©  Copyright by Sweetly Nice - Singa 坡 の Makan | Template by Blogger Templates | Blog Trick at Blog-HowToTricks