Wednesday, May 05, 2010

CK Tangs Mdm Cynthia's Pandan Chiffon Cake - Trip to find THE one

After a rave by one of ieat's readers about a hidden not-for-sale heavenly Pandan Chiffon Cake, I just had to check it out. The tip-off says that cooking tips are guaranteed, with the sweet bonus that THE cake is free.

 Cynthia a bit paiseh (shy) when I first asked if I could take photos. haha.

Pouring the batter  for Banana Marble Swirl Chiffon Cake into the chiffon cake mold.

Making paper thin egg omelette with anionized Super-B pot, while we waited for the cake to be ready.

Yay! Cutting the cake.

I adore the mold to bits. It has those waves, so you get a jelly shape. Look at how smooth and nicely-brown the skin is. Not to mention the marble pattern she created with chocolate.

Plump and standing tall.

PS: I lost my last photo of the cake slice I took. Sigh. My handphone is a little cranky.

But the cake is to die for! I have no idea how it compares to ieat's one (only him and family would know...). All I can say is that, on my side, I feel that her cake is everything I want of a chiffon.

As you can see, it looks so good. It has a thin layer of crispy skin, with spongy looking, beautifully and naturally coloured inside, and mashes into a cream texture the moment you bite and chew. It has the toughness to give you a slight kick when biting, unlike Bengawan Solo's, that basically breaks with a touch and crumbles into nothingness in your mouth, only to leave the boring taste of plain sugar.

It is a little bit oily, but definitely still on the safe side, since it's homemade. And sweet, but not diabetic. I know that it might be mild and perhaps even tasteless for older people, who somehow prefer heavy tastes. But for modern Singaporeans, who are getting more health conscious, one really can't fault this cake. Moreover, if you home make your own, you are free to adjust the sweetness. This is just a demo for the pots.

Rating: 5/5
Try it while she is still there making cakes and demos. She also gives tips along the way, like to sort of carry/hug it in two forearms, and swirl it to release the bubbles, then tap gently a few times if you really think there are bubbles still, instead of knocking the tin hard. I guess you could still knock the tin hard, but for her jelly mold, you did dent the jelly shape badly!! Doesn't matters for those flat top ones we normally see on the market. haha.

******
At the end of it all, I did make a purchase, as I need a set of cooking wares quite soon. Thought no harm getting it now, since it was supposedly on promotion for Mother's Day. LOL, promos... :P

I also like the way this cake would only take 15 min to cook in that pot, while Cynthia said that you'd have to set your oven to 180 deg C for 45 min if you want to use an oven.


(Please note that business is still business, and Mdm Cynthia and assistants are honestly making a decent living, so please be kind enough not to go everyday for free cakes without buying. Although, she does gives them out to fellow workers/friends at Tangs, out of goodwill. I stood there for the whole time the cake was cooking, so I was a little pressurized to buy, as one of the assistants kept asking if I intended to get anything. Suggest you take a walk and return if you feel you really will not be interested at all, but still want a taste of the cake. Don't say I say one. hahahaha.

On another note, practically all the viewers who stood a good while bought! Quite amazing. We were all impressed by the cake, and popcorn. The popcorn is good too, if you are not for diabetic ones from the likes of GV. Her cutey mould can be used for oven too, so no worries if you don't want that pot. I just like the jelly shape... haha. Pardon me.)

0 comments:

 

Positively Nice - My Beauty Blog

Latest and most honest reviews of the efficacy of beauty products, skincare, cosmetics, and my take on fashion, plus lots of my tips that will make people compliment! =)))

Beauty can be affordable, only at Positively Nice.

Positively Nice
Powered By Blogger

Blog Tricks

Powered By Blogger

Proud Member of Nuffnang






Powered By Blogger

Great Morning ©  Copyright by Sweetly Nice - Singa 坡 の Makan | Template by Blogger Templates | Blog Trick at Blog-HowToTricks