Thursday, May 27, 2010

Esquire Kitchen @Subang

I thought that it would hard to find a good place for Chinese food in this Muslim country, but strangely enough, there is one in a mall near my place, and I found it within the first week. =)

Esquire Kitchen - Sze Chuan & Shanghai style dishes

The menu.

Ambience & Setting
I find it quite normal. No specials done up to create any particular mood. Wooden furniture, and some hanging lamps.

The array of circular hanging lamps reminds me of the ramen restaurant, O-An in Singapore.

The general setting of furniture.

It's quite a large restaurant for me, because I seldom see places of this scale anymore is land scarce Singapore. The greatest contrast is that none of the eateries in Malaysia can be packed till you see a snaking queue outside. Not even during meal times. But the restaurants still earn enough to survive.

In Singapore, if the food is not good enough or if nobody knows about the place, and it doesn't get queues at meal times, that eatery can say byebye in a month's time.

Table setting. Can see that it's strangely quite bright at dinner time.

I am still not very used to having ultra long days here. The sky starts to bright at 8am, but remains like noon is never going to come. It is still cold and feels of early morning at 10am (the hottest in Singapore), feels warm at 12pm, and sun peaks at 2pm. The sun doesn't goes down until 8pm.


Service
To be honest, I am not sure if there is over here... ... I am okay with no smiling, plate banging etc. But food coming slowly is something my partner and I are really trying to get used to. I think the standards in general are quite equal on both sides of the causeway. It's the speed of food being ready that is quite different.

Our drinks.

This is how drinks and the sauces were served at first. Tea, hot or cold, is free flow.

Food

Mapo Tofu

I think this mapo tofu is okay. I was expecting it to be spicier since it's Sze Chuan style, and I also know mapo tofu dishes in Singapore to be on the chili hot side.

Huge plate.

I think it tastes pretty good and balance, but it is almost exactly like the sauce my mum uses for mapo tofu at home, those bottled ones from Lee Kum Kee etc. So if you are there to try food, not eat things you like, this is not something that needs to be looked out for.


Rating: 4/5
I make it a point to have some tofu now and then for my meals, and I like mapo sauce, so this is something I would normally call for.

Sze Chuan Sour & Spicy Soup


This totally looks like fish maw soup or shark fin's soup right??? hahahaha. And I can tell you it tastes the same too! LOL. But for those who do not take sour stuff, this is not for you. It is on the vinegary side, but is too my liking.

That's some hei mu er inside, which I like. =)

Rating: 4/5
It is well-balanced, with good texture.

Eggplant Sze Chuan Style


This is my favourite dish of all! I think this is a must try. It tastes sweet and salty at the same times, like a good plate of char kway teow, Singaporean style.

The eggplants are cooked to squishy soft, easy to eat and doesn't feels or taste like eggplants at all.

Rating: 5/5


Shanghai Mee


This is basically fried mee as we know it. It is not as sweet as the eggplant, but basically char kway teow as well. Pretty okay and Singaporean style.

Rating: 4/5

Dong Bo Rou


This is the star of the day that we really came for. =) Both partner and I walked round and round and round the mall trying to find the Sze Chuan restaurant that his colleagues brought him to on Day 1 here, just for this Dong Bo Rou.

And indeed, it is very nice as my partner told me.

The sauce is sweet salty kind, but not the same as that for the eggplant. The meat is so well cooked together with the fats in between (this is pork belly), that melts in your mouth.

Rating: 5/5
This is worth the trip!

Xiao Long Bao


Xiao Long Baos are one of my favourite Chinese snacks, and I'd try it as long as I see it on the menu. But this one is really disappointing. The skin breaks very easily, and is still sticky, as if not cooked well. The minced meat does not tastes too good either.

Rating: 2.5/5
I wouldn't order it again even if I were dying for xiao long bao.

Tau Fu Hwar


I am still in the Singapore mode, and reading ieatishootipost's post on tau huay all the time is really making me crave it every now and then. I have eaten two tau huays in Subang so far, and none of them are close to what we have in Singapore. I think the people here just don't go for the same tastes, are not as food crazy, do not demand so high standards, and face weaker competition too (like I said, if an eatery does not have business in Singapore, it closes, if an eatery does not have business in M'sia, they can still scrape by).

Anyway, this tau huay does have the bean taste and is smooth, but it is firm till it feels more like pudding or jelly, rather than the creamy or dissolvable ones I have back home.

Rating: 4/5
It would do for a tau huay crave.

Overall food rating: 9.4/10
The eggplant and dong bo rou are must-tries. The other dishes are generally nice and above average as well, and very Singaporean style, so this place is a good one to satisfy some Chinese taste craving.

I have also subsequently tried a number of their takeaway dian xin, and they are very nice! Do buy the char siew bao and walnut cookie!

0 comments:

 

Positively Nice - My Beauty Blog

Latest and most honest reviews of the efficacy of beauty products, skincare, cosmetics, and my take on fashion, plus lots of my tips that will make people compliment! =)))

Beauty can be affordable, only at Positively Nice.

Positively Nice
Powered By Blogger

Blog Tricks

Powered By Blogger

Proud Member of Nuffnang






Powered By Blogger

Great Morning ©  Copyright by Sweetly Nice - Singa 坡 の Makan | Template by Blogger Templates | Blog Trick at Blog-HowToTricks